Well Rounded Birth Prep

Well Rounded Birth Prep
WellRoundedBirthPrep.com

Search This Blog

Saturday, October 16, 2010

Guest post: Labor & Delivery Nurse shares what she wishes you knew about birth

A few days ago, I posted this article to my Well Rounded Birth Prep Facebook page: "Three Things Nurses Wish You Knew About Childbirth." I'll give you a minute to go check out that link, then come back. It's all right; I'm waiting.

Are you back?

Former labor and delivery nurse Joni Edelman shared the following insights on the article and kindly gave permission to share here.

"Former L&D RN here... And here's what I wish my patients knew:

1. Doulas. Yes. The statistics don't lie and a good doula is an asset to the RN too.
2. REAL childbirth prep. Yes.
3. Birth plans. Yes. But be flexible. Only because in my experience, the more rigid the birth plan, the more likely you'll end up in surgery. I can't explain it but it's true.
4. Pain medication is available and we are happy to give it to you. However, sometimes it's too late for the epidural or that last shot. Labor hurts. Sorry. We can't always make it pain free. Frankly I'm shocked at the number of women who expect this.
5. YOU have the right (and responsibility) to make choices for your baby and yourself. You can refuse intervention and treatment you don't want. (IV, induction, etc) Your RN or OB might be mad or even mean to you but it's your baby and your body.

"But what I REALLY wish people knew is that the statistics are true AND scary. The hospital creates as many problems as it solves. Where else can you walk in healthy and still have a 32% chance of having major surgery? Also pitocin, whether they'll acknowledge it or not, makes for complicated deliveries. OB's like pitocin. They like to exert control when they can because unfortunately they are all terrified of a lawsuit. Most OB's pay more in malpractice insurance than most people make in a year. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE OB's. They have an important role to play when NEEDED. Otherwise they really aren't acquainted with normal, unaltered labor. They rely on quantified information which is great, when necessary, but usually is unnecessary.

"So what I wish people knew is it's safe, and often safer, to have your baby at home with a skilled midwife. I just did and even with a delivery complicated by a severe shoulder dystocia, I'm still glad I had my 10 lb 6 oz baby in my kitchen. It's a long story but because of my experience I know what likely would have happened in the hospital making me that much happier I wasn't there."

You can read Joni's incredible homebirth story in 2 parts:

Ella's story. Part 1: BL (before labor)

Ella's story. Part 2. So it begins...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to visit my blog. I appreciate your comments.